20051220

pecan tartlets

pecan tartlets

something from santos claus: mini pecan tarts--tender, yet nutty and only a little sweet. no comparisons to my character, please (i believe i am more like a chicken pot pie laced with battery acid). these are very simple to make, cobbled together from recipes from my cousin tinette and non-cousin paula deen. almost any nut will work--i've done these with macadamias, casoy (cashews), walnuts, and almonds, with no complaints. quite impressive in taste and in appearance, and a welcome addition to any dessert plate.


pecan tartlets


crust:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour


filling:
2 tbsps butter, softened
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

a LOT of chopped nuts (about 2-2 1/2 cups)

preheat oven to 325˚F.

for the crust: cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. incorporate egg, then flour. pinch off balls of dough and place into each mini-tart pan. form crust around sides with your fingertips--the thinner the better, but be careful not to have any holes or tears. set aside.

for the filling: cream butter and sugar together. incorporate eggs, and vanilla and salt.

fill uncooked crusts halfway with chopped nuts. using a squeezy bottle, fill each tart to the top with the butter/sugar mix. sprinkle more nuts on top. bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden. cool in pans before removing.

makes 48 mini tarts

6 comments:

Santos, they're adorable! I must try them, soon.

They look so cute and delish! I'll have to try them out. Do they keep well?

hi debbie! i like these because they don't contain any corn syrup and aren't particularly sweet. it sounds like there's a lot of sugar, but when apportioned out, it's not that much.

hi viv! they keep very well. it's the type of thing you can make a month in advance, then freeze for later use.

My mom used to make these for special occassions and holidays. I haven't had them in a while. They look wonderful!

It seems that pecan tartlets are the thing to do this holiday season. First my stepmomma sends me some from Florida (and they just melted in my mouth, even after being en route to the desert for a couple of weeks). Then I read about them in the Ophra magazine (bitesized snacks as party favors). And then I see them here on your blog, where all things cool are mentioned.

Now all I need is some rosettes and my Christmas will be perfect!

Have a safe and happy holiday season.

hi ollie! have a great holiday and merry christmas in california.

hi pinkstar! thanks for dropping by, especially now during the christmas season. rosettes! you and me, both. no one's given me any this year (yet). ah, it's still early by guam standards :D
merry christmas to you!