20050208

crepes and curd

happy fat tuesday y'all! it's mardi gras, a time for unrepentant indulgence just before the start of the lenten season. and apparently a time for pancakes. today's first offering: crepes with passionfruit curd, bananas and freshly grated coconut.



*wow*. sometimes you don't realize how monochromatic your food is until you photograph it.

the passionfruit curd was absurdly easy. place a bowl over a pot of simmering water (makeshift double boiler), add 1/4 cup sugar to the pulp of 2 or 3 passionfruits to the bowl. mix in two slightly beaten eggs and continue stirring until the mixture has thickened into a sort of custard. take off the heat and add 60g of softened, unsalted butter. continue stirring until butter has completely melted and is completely incorporated. let sit to cool.

5 comments:

"sometimes you don't realize how monochromatic your food is until you photograph it."

So true. I've had that thought myself so many times that now if I know I'm going to be taking a picture of something, I'll go out of my way to add a dash of extra color: some kind of garnish, usually, or even an extra ingredient in the dish.

By the way, hi. I don't know how I found your blog but I've been reading it for a couple of weeks now and I enjoy it. :)

lisa
http://www.lisabug.net

hi lisa! i've been to your blog too, but i don't know how i got there either :-) i think it's either from 1000recipes (are you participating? if you aren't you might like to!), my la blog, or possibly...chika's blog? anyway, thank you for visiting.

it's funny, this morning when i was eating this i didn't realize how yellowish it was until it was too late to rephotograph it with, i don't know, a sprig of mint? contrasting fruit? eh. i'll have to do better with tonight's pancake offering.

That said, the lack of splash does make me appreciate the gradula hues more. It's quite surprising to see how closely the pancake and the banana match.

Well, it is rather monochromatic, but it still looks very delicious. :)

Happy Lunar New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family, santos!

Julia
www.aromacookery.com

hi anthony--it was a weirdly one colour meal. very little in hue change too. the black seedy specks in the nana and the passionfruit pips contrasted well.

hi julia--happy new year to you and your family as well!