20041218

recipe: bill granger's brownies



my holiday wish to my friends and family is if i can't get skinny, i'm gonna make you fat!!! bwaaaahaaaahaaaaa....

this holiday, people are actually getting baked goods from me; normally i can't do the deco thing and the baking thing, it's too much for my head to handle. it's christmas overload. my decorating concession is that i will um, dust. yeah, that's the ticket. a dust-free christmas. huzzah!

in the goodie bag this year are brownies i found in "bill's food" by yes, bill-who-fills-my-belly-with-jelly granger. you know i'm home if i've cracked open a granger cookbook. these are meant to be served warm, but eh, that's what microwaves are for.

chocolate brownies (from "bill's food' by bill granger, page 180)

370g (1 1/2 cups) caster (superfine) sugar
80g (2/3 cup) cocoa powder
60g (1/2 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, beaten
250g (9oz) unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
200g (7oz) chocolate buttons (i used semi-sweet chocolate chips)

preheat oven to 160˚C (315˚F/gas 2-3). stir the sugar, cocoa powder, flour and baking powder together in a bowl. add the eggs, melted butter and vanilla and mix until combined. mix in the chocolate buttons. pour into a lined 9 inch (22cm) square tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

soooo easy. at this point, mr. g says that while the brownies are still warm, cut into eight pieces. EIGHT. that makes a slab of chocolate excess roughly the size of a bread plate. i love my family more than my luggage but there are waaaay too many of them, so they are getting bite-sized nuggets. my brownie pointer of the day is that after the brownies have cooled, put the whole pan into the --freezer overnight, and slice 'em up when they are frozen--so much easier to cut. there's less crumbs, less gooey-ness on the knife, prettier product, and definitely less clean up.

10 comments:

Hi Santos,

OK...you're killing me. Brownies? Love 'em! Especially chocolate-y, cake-y brownies. I especially like the pieces that are near the edge of the pan for the little crunchy "crust". =P

I don't want the recipe, but I want THOSE SQUARES!!
:P

hailyn and chika

it's all about the freezer, babies!!!!

(pssst reid check the freezer for more)

Will these keep till the end of January? Save some for me! Hehehe!

hey mik
truth be told, i'm immune to brownies. no, they cannot work their moist and gooey charm on me, for they have foiled me once too many times. i still don't know if i had accidentally used salt instead of sugar in this, they are still in the freezer, waiting to be packed up in the cookie bag.

hey karen--if the other cousins don't get to them first!

hi maia! it's nice to hear from you. glad you like the brownie recipe. it has been on my mind lately, too, so i think it's time to start baking again :)

Hi. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. Having friends for dinner, but I lost this Bill Granger cookbook to an unfortunate water leak :-(. However, I managed to google "Bill Granger Brownies", and voila!
Thanks again.

FYI, the sugar quantity in this recipe is wrong. It should be 1 1/2 cups caster sugar, not 2 1/2 cups.

thanks! noted! fixed!