20080121

purple pretty

purple cauliflower


purple cauliflower, which gets its lovely colour from the presence of anthocyanin, which is also responsible for the colour in red cabbage, red wine, apples, and the distinctive deep loveliness of blood oranges.

purple cauliflower innard

when deep-fried, the colour changes to a gorgeous bluey-purple, not unlike dame elizabeth taylor's eyes. the flavour of the cauliflower becomes quite sweet and nutty. also like i imagine the ex-mrs. fortensky to be. not to taste.

fried cauliflower sandwich

makes a great sandwich. i'm sure the ex-mrs. hilton wilding todd fisher burton burton warner has a cook or chef who does, too.

6 comments:

Does it taste like the white cauliflower? Just curious. I saw this in Quebec for the first time. There's a yellow one, too, right?

hello! i think it tastes the same as the white one. i have seen the orangey yellow ones, but have yet to try it.

Wow - what color! What a transformation when it's cooked too... seems like most foods lose color in cooking.

Beautiful color! Thanks for the comment on the blog-- I sort of kept it quiet for awhile. I'm trying to post more in 2008.

Oooooh it's so pretty! This is my first time to know of a purple cauliflower. Gorgeous.

hi santos, I'm glad to see I'm not the only 'strange' one. My daughters thought I had lost my mind when I came home with orange and purple cauliflowers last week. They were on sale at the grocery store. lol! I loved the color, so I just did a quick stirfry of cauliflowers. It was pretty and delicious. Of course, we ate it all again before I could take a photo. :)

JMom