a classic tiramisu recipe, made not so classicly with matcha, japanese green tea, and a touch of cointreau.
green tea tiramisu
3 egg yolks
1/3 c white caster sugar
8oz mascarpone cheese
1 c heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
cointreau, or any orange flavoured liqueur
powdered green tea, mm-mm-matcha
1-2 c brewed green tea, cooled
3 egg whites***
1. beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl set over pan of simmering water, until the mixture is pale yellow. add the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth and creamy.
2. in a separate bowl, whip the cream. add vanilla and orange liqueur.
3. in yet another bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. ***note: i forgot the egg whites altogether, but i think it still worked out well, so i'm going to say this is optional
4. fold the mascarpone mixture into the cream until blended.
5. add egg whites and fold gently until blended. (obv also optional)
6. dip ladyfingers into the brewed green tea, then layer them on the bottom of a serving dish. spread the creamy stuff on top, and repeat layers.
7. refrigerate at least a couple of hours; 24 is nice.
8. dust with powdered matcha just before serving.
update 04 october 2006: some talk in the comments about the actual source of this recipe--more about this in this post.