20040821

typhoon sandwich

guam is in the middle of a typhoon sandwich, with chaba to the east, and aere to the west. aere is just a tropical storm, but her swift upward track to japan means that chaba can't go north, which means she'll most likely hit the island sometime tomorrow.

right now chaba is holding at only 80 mph with 100mph gusts, so if she hits, it won't be horrible. however, chaba is expected to become a supertyphoon within 72 hours. hopefully, she won't slow down on her way here!! in 2001, we had two supertyphoons within 6 months of each other that both had winds in excess of 165 mph/190mph gusts. needless to say, it was a harrowing, horrible time.

anyway, i think i'm still a little shellshocked from then, so i'm not looking forward to sunday. so much for imbb!

i'll be tracking chaba's progress on my other blog, if you're interested. and, if you're interested, think good thoughts (i'll take your prayers too) for us over here!

4 comments:

I wish you guys all the best, I hope those typhoons will not cause anything serious. Be safe.

Hi Santos,

Good luck! Hopefully the typhoon won't do too much damage. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's a good thing we don't get typhoons here in Hawaii because I don't think I could handle them. I do believe that we are overdue for a hurricane though, we had Iwa in '82 and Iniki in '92. Hope it doesn't happen this year.

You take care and I hope everything will be alright. My best thoughts are with you - can't have blogmateys coming to harm.

hi chika, reid and anthony (my pan pacific posse!)

thank you so much for your kind words and concern. everything's good, it wasn't too horrible (only 80 mph winds, but for 12 hours! with my parents!!), cleanup still ongoing, but bearable. it's still raining, when will it end?!

we were fortunate, compared to the other islands. and now chaba is a supertyphoon, with winds at 178 mph, gusts to 218 mph. scary!